I've blogged a lot about how I take an anti-depressant called Effexor XR for hot flashes, right? Well, under the supervision of my oncologist, I've been weaning myself from the drug.
Dr. Onc's prescription: Change the dosage from 75 milligrams to 37.5 and take that for three weeks. Then take one every other day for another two weeks. And then you're done.
WRONG!
I don't know how addicts get sober. It has been so incredibly difficult - physically - to come off these stupid anti-depressants! On the off days I felt dizzy, light-headed, and cross-eyed. One night we were out at a restaurant and I came out of the bathroom and felt like I had been drinking, but I hadn't! It reminded me of when you've been over served and you're cruising across the restaurant thinking you're hot shit but really, you're a hot mess. I would have NEVER EVER started taking them if I knew it would be so hard to quit them.
So now I'm taking this low dose anti-depressant and having hot flashes. Pointless. But, I spoke with a pharmacist who suggested I open the pills and reduce some of the contents, little by little, day by day and this should make the wean easier than the every other day Dr. Onc prescribed.
The good thing is I've figured out when I typically get hot flashes and I can manage them without the use of drugs. Sadly, it's usually after a cup of coffee. Hot flashes be damned...I am not giving up my coffee!
2 comments:
Praying for you, Wendy!
Wow, I wish I could give some advice here...just wanted to stop by and say hi n
Post a Comment