Thursday, July 22, 2010

Project Mom Casting



Here goes nothing...

“Mommy, what’chu doin?”

“Surviving, baby, surviving.”

The question is likely all-too-familiar for most moms of inquisitive toddlers but I’m betting the answer is not. My name is Wendy Nielsen and in 2008 I gave birth to our first child. A mere ten months later I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer. I was 33 years old.

I endured eight rounds of chemotherapy and seven weeks of daily radiation therapy, both of which took every ounce of energy from me. A full time mom turned full time cancer patient, I watched my baby crawl for the first time and I could barely react as I was far too wiped out from treatment. It was pure hell and I hate that cancer robbed me of that time.

Being a survivor is far more complex than it sounds. Yes, I may have survived that particular bout but who’s to say that it won’t be back? That thought can be debilitating at times and makes me often afraid to look toward the future. The “survivor” label doesn’t guarantee anything and I’m trying to find the balance of living in the moment while prioritizing the things that are important to me.

I started blogging purely as cheap therapy! I’m passionate about putting my thoughts to paper and having others read it but I have struggled at times questioning if whether my blog is for me or for my readers. And while I don’t particularly have an “end game” in mind I wouldn’t mind getting a book deal out of it! All kidding aside, it would be a dream to start an organization in Orange County focused on supporting young women going through treatment for breast cancer. From my personal experience, the hardest task you face during treatment is ensuring quality care for your children in your absence. As moms, we tend to feel guilty for not being there for our kids. During treatment, it’s ten-fold. I’d love to try to alleviate some of that guilt.

I follow several fabulous mommy blogs, many from writers in my area but also from around the country. Yet, none – well, maybe one or two – deal with serious health issues beyond dieting. After posting, I’m surprised every time, with a new comment or a new follower on Twitter saying that my words touched them in some way. It’s beyond rewarding! I truly believe that my experiences will bring something greater to, not only my family and me, but also to others in the future.

4 comments:

Erin Lane said...

I love this post! Good luck with momcasting!

erica said...

Love it. I think you hit the nail on the head. Being a survivor means so much more than winning a bout with cancer, it means planning your future - and allowing yourself to do so.

Good luck! You know I am rooting for you!

Christina Berry said...

I, for one, love it!

Mary Beth said...

You inspire me babycakes!!
xoxox