Last week I offered up Zucchini Pizza from the vegetarian cookbook "Better Than Peanut Butter and Jelly." And while I had good intentions of making said recipe - because it sounds FANTASTIC and my family LOVES pizza - I failed MISERABLY! I forgot TWO major ingredients at the market: tomatoes and zucchini. Guess I was too wrapped up listening to the Frosty, Heidi, and Frank podcast to remember these items!
So, instead of going back the next day for my missing ingredients I just went forward with what I had bought and what I had in the pantry.
Here's how it went:
The original recipe called for pizza dough, well, that didn't happen - even though Trader Joe's sells dough, I decided to use Boboli Crust instead. Delicious! I put the crusts in the oven for five minutes - the package doesn't say to do that but they seemed kind of wet when I unwrapped them and my inner Julia Child told me that putting them in the oven before piling on the sauce and toppings would help somehow.
Since I forgot the tomatoes, I used the Ragu Pizza sauce I had planned using for my husband's own personal pizza. It may be cheap and unsophisticated but it was tasty!
Shredded some mozzarella, added a little bit of salt and pepper, and tossed on a few black olives on for good measure.
They were yummy and still 100% vegetarian. I actually think they looked like two pies from the local pizzeria!
For the week of January 18th:

Breakfast Quinoa
as featured on the Martha Stewart Show, January 19, 2010 and from the February 2010 issue of Martha Stewart Living.
Ingredients:
2 cups whole or low-fat milk, plus extra for serving
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 Tbs. light brown sugar, plus extra for serving
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon, plus extra for serving
1 cup fresh blueberries, plus extra for serving
1) Bring milk to a boil in saucepan. Add quinoa, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of milk has been absorbed - about 15 minutes.
2) Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed - about 8 minutes. Stir in blueberries and cook for another 30 seconds. Serve with additional milk, sugar, cinnamon, and blueberries.
Makes 2 cups.
Wendy's Notes: I'm not a huge fan of fresh blueberries so I'm thinking of adding dried cranberries or fresh raspberries. Maybe some diced mango for a tropical flare?
1 comment:
Thanks for posting this quinoa recipe. I love it, but would never have thought to use it for breakfast. Yum.
Post a Comment