Rained on the day she was born. Rained on her first birthday. And well, it seems, El Nino has decided to drop in the week of her second birthday. January babies - how's a mom supposed to plan an outdoor party? It's not cancelled, just postponed until March.
I s-t-r-u-g-g-l-e-d with the idea of postponing the party. I thought "we could tent our backyard and have everyone at the house." And then what? The yard is soaked from all the rain. What would a gaggle of two-year-olds do for fun? Ok, how about moving it to an indoor location like Chuck E. Cheese or Pretend City? We were over the maximum head count at both locations. Can you imagine the phone calls or emails: "Hi, thanks for wanting to come but we are uninviting you because we're over the limit." Not happening. My husband convinced me that to throw the party I've envisioned then we must postpone.
Secretly, I'm now kind of excited about the postponement because it gives me time to come up with better ideas for decorations! I've been totally inspired by the fabulous Autumn at Design Dump with her Lego themed party. Now, I'm not switching the theme to Legos but I am going to borrow some of her fantastic design elements and incorporate them into the Tinkerbell theme we have planned.
But I'm having such a dilemma over the color scheme. I had Modern Bebe on etsy.com design what I think are the-cutest-most-adorable-sweetest Tinkerbell invitations ever. Seriously, Tinkerbell invites were so hard to find! I and adore the colors used because they match A-Train's bathing suit. But...every single mass produced Tinkerbell item found at my local party store is purple and green. So I said *screw it* and bought plates, table clothes, and napkins that matched the invitation (I also made a banner and sign that match the invite too). Instead of purple and green, I'm just going to use the invitation colors and create my interpretation of Pixie Hallow. What do you think?
Here's a couple of shots of the envelopes that were mailed out with the original invitation:
It didn't photograph all that well,
but the envelopes are chartreuse and were purchased from Paper Source.
I bought blue card stock from Staples and
the circle labels in Strawberry were also from Paper Source.
Forced to use glue to adhere the decorative lining after running out of double stick tape.
Trying to figure out how to add Pixie Dust.
I used a paint brush to spread glue on the strips but didn't like how thick it looked.
After several attempts, and seeing that the glitter held on its own even without glue, I ended up putting all the envelopes in a Ziploc bag and dumping glitter over them.
Think Shake and Bake! I'm sure the USPS loved that!
The finished envelope.
I plan on eventually posting a blog dedicated solely to the planning and preparation of the Tinkerbell party. Let's just hope this rain clears up soon!
4 comments:
Loved the invites - so cute! Now that the party is dealyed Aidan my be walking for the party!
I totally feel your pain! My daughter celebrated her 2nd birthday on Monday (18th) and we have had the worst weather in CA this week. It was 40* on the day of the party. Not to mention she caught her first flu viirus in the middle of her party! It has been a bad birthday week for my poor baby girl ): I was honestly thinking about postponing her birthday until the spring, maybe next year! I am a February baby and my siblings both share summer birthdays. They always had the best parties and I had snow and cold, wet, weather! LOL, Oh well! Can't wait to see the party pictures!
wendy,
thank you so much for your kind comments! i am so glad that you are going to be able to *borrow some of the ideas i used for my sons party. isn't the internet a fun way to recycle ideas?
your party so far looks adorable!
i love the colors, and the envelopes are darling!
i can't wait to see what else you come up with.
p.s. i think it is so cute that your name is WENDY, and you are having a tinkerbell party for your little girl!
by the way, i am sooo loving the new tinkerbell movies (especially tinkerbell and the lost treasure)...i put it one for my girls last week, and totally got sucked in!
:)
have a great day!
autumn
design*dump
I'm with you. But the last two years I had Elijah's party at my house (in January) and the weather was fine. This year was crazy rain. And I had my daughter's party planned for the park in may. It rained. At least the trees are happy and getting fed.
Those invites and envelopes are adorable. Party in March!
Post a Comment