Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I Wish I Knew How To...

I've learned a few things in my time but there is A LOT of things I've been dying to learn how to do. Here's a few of them:

Digital Scrapbooking

I really want to be that girl who scrapbooks. I have a closet full of supplies that have never seen the light of day. And don't even ask about the photo prints I have stashed in boxes upon boxes.

I'd never heard about digital scrapbooking until I started blogging. I know about uploading digital photos and making photo books on Shutterfly but I don't think this is quite the same and I can't figure out 1) where to start, 2) what to do with it after you make it on your computer.

I've seen some rad sites with a bunch of freebie stuff, but I'm still lost.

Blog Buttons

I adore reading so many blogs! I could fill my entire blog with buttons from the other blogs I read. This is the purpose of a button, right? For advertising?


Tiny Oranges - I read it everyday!

Regardless of it's point, I'd really love one for my blog but I have no idea how to make one!

Wordpress v. Blogger

I keep reading that Wordpress is a better host but I've seen so many fantastic blog designs on Blogger. So, what's the difference? I don't know how to design a blog from scratch...do I need professional help for that before switching over? And tell me again why I should switch?

Twitter

Yes, I've been tweeting like nuts. Well, not really. I just like to read what everyone else is up to. It's super fun! I'm becoming a little obsessed like I was with Facebook when I first started that.

The problem...I'm still not getting how to respond to tweets I read. I thought I was doing it successfully but I'm not so sure. Chrissy, help!

Random Parenting Stuff

- Successfully disciplining a two-year-old (I oppose spanking and I don't want to yell and scream, there's gotta be something that works, right?)
- Potty training (the girl absolutely refuses)
- Breaking the bottle (she still takes one in the morning when she gets up)

So now I call out to you, Blog-Goddesses...please impart your wisdom on me!

5 comments:

Christina Berry said...

Well, since you asked... :)

Your twitter account is protected which means that only those who have asked to be friended by you (and whom you have granted access to) can read your tweets. So even if you're responding directly to someone, unless they're following you (and you've granted them permission to do so), they can't see your comments. I learned that the hard way. It's why I no longer have my account protected. But I understand why some people do.

Blogger vs. Wordpress - I used to have a Wordpress blog. Personally, I like Blogger better, in part because of what you said. The layouts tend to be much prettier.

Digital Scrapbooking - I actually taught myself this last fall. Do you subscribe to www.kevinandamanda.com? She has some pretty good tips on her site. I've made several scrapbook pages that I've framed around my house, and in fact yesterday I made a Blogger layout! It's the same basic principle. I use a photo editing program called Gimp (free, so it's MUCH cheaper than PhotoShop), and it really wasn't hard to learn.

There are a lot of sites that offer scrapbook kits (the papers and elements you would use) for free. I could send you some links to those sites if you'd like.

Blog Buttons - Same thing here. Taught myself how to make buttons. VERY simple, really. You can use that same program, Gimp, to do it. The tricky part is coding it, and really, that's not all that tricky.

Whew! That's a lot of stuff!

Christina Berry said...

I feel like I may not have been clear about Twitter. I think you ARE responding to tweets correctly, but (1) if the person isn't following you, they can't see your comments, and (2) I've learned that most celebrities are poop-heads who won't respond even when they can see what you said. Lol.

Jessica Taylor said...

How to get started in Digital Scrapbooking... sign up to receive a free digital scrapbooking tip of the week at http://www.digitalscrapbookingwithjessica and you'll also get a free video tutorial on how to create a digital scrapbook page from start to finish.

After you make a page or album on your computer you can have it printed or share it online as a photo or virtual album.

How to create your own blog button... create the image in a digital scrapbooking or photo editing program. Link the image to your blog.

Not sure on WordPress vs. Blogger. I use TypePad which has a ton of pre-set designs that you can choose from.

That's all the wisdom I have for today. Hope it helps!

Just Spotted said...

Chrissy pretty much answered all the twitter questions, so i won't even go there.

i had blogger, & just went to self-hosted wordpress simply because there is more i can do with plugins etc. if you have specific questions i'd love to answer. but so far i'm loving the flexibility!

how old is your daughter? two? if she isn't interested in potty training i say don't push it. neither of my boys were potty trained until after 3... i didn't even start training til then. just too much of a headache. but when we started we went cold turkey.

buttons are easy if you have some type of photoshop... do you?

KatBouska said...

How to make your own blog button: http://www.mamakatslosinit.com/2010/01/blog-tips-how-to-make-your-own-blog-button/

Wordpress vs. Blogger...Wordpress if your goal is to grow your blog and have thousands of followers. Blogger if you plan on keeping it somewhat small and don't care about the numbers.