
So, today is the day. An oophorectomy is definitely happening. My surgeon is confident it will only be that.
However...if she can't get to the ovaries and tubes via laparoscope she will indeed have to cut me open. If this is the case, she's taking everything - a hysterectomy.
I've struggled with it a little bit. On one hand, this is the BEST decision for me in terms of staying cancer-free long term. Dr. Onc is very conservative and she wouldn't have even suggested this surgery if she didn't think it would benefit me.
On the other hand...I can't escape the idea of being compared to a spayed animal. No offense to anyone reading this who may have had one. I don't view other women as being "spayed" - just myself.
More than that, I'm sad that I won't be able to have any more children. I desperately want our daughter to have a sibling. I know there are other avenues out there to explore in terms of adding to our family, so there is always that. But I really just need to mourn the loss of my own ability first and then I'll be ready to move on.
For now, though, I'm ready for the surgery. I'm ready to finally close the chapter on hormone management!
4 comments:
Good luck, Wendy! I hope everything goes well...
I will be praying for you! You are a strong woman, and have a great support system...
Good luck! We'll be thinking good thoughts for you!
Thanks for stopping by and following. I obviously don't know you very well yet, but you seem like you need a virtual hug today. So there! Consider yourself hugged. I will be thinking about you and your family. :)
Post a Comment