Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Somewhat of a Bust

Domestic Dork

Holly at Domestic Dork hosted her first Valentine's Day Blog Exchange earlier this month and I was super excited to join in on the fun! The rules were simple: partner up with another blogger and exchange a valentine gift.

Holly organized the entire thing and matched up bloggers from the same cities or states. Then it was up to us to contact the other and set things in motion.

I thought the whole idea was totally cute and reminded me of exchanging valentines with other kids in elementary school. We were encouraged to hand make something.

I contacted my blogger partner via email. No response. Ok, fine. Maybe she changed her mind. No worries. I emailed Holly and she set me up with someone else who didn't have a partner. Cool...the exchange was back on! Emails, addresses, likes and dislikes were exchanged.

I shopped. Thought about kitchen accessories and Valentine decor but finally settled on personal items. I couldn't shake the colors pink and green for some reason and ended up finding a set of paraben-free creams and a soy candle that smelled like birthday cake. All the packaging was in pink and green! Then, at my local Hallmark store, I found these really adorable coin charms. The one I selected read "Good for One Wish" with a star cut-out in the middle of the coin. I strung it on a pretty ribbon and wrapped everything up in bubble wrap and mailed it off. Oh, the only hand made item was a paper heart cut out of construction paper. It was all I could muster up in terms of creativity!

The day before February 14th, I received an email that my partner received the package and that she thought it was lovely. I was pleased with my purchase and was sincerely happy that she liked it. She apologized for not getting anything out to me. I totally understood. Life happens and things don't go as planned. No hard feelings here on this side. I just hope that I was able to brighten her day a little with the gift I sent!

6 comments:

4smartmonkeys said...

How sweet of you! I'm sorry you didn't get a package.
I hope you had a great Valentine's day with you family!


Rebecca

Heather said...

How sweet are you! I participated in an exchange of "My Favorite Things" last year and my partner and I couldn't of been more different. Hope our next exchanges work out better for both of us!

Anonymous said...

You are too sweet. I love shopping for other people... when I know what I want to get. Why is it easier to shop for a virtual stranger than it is to shop for your husband??? ha!

Jessica said...

I swear I didn't forget you. Life just got out of control on me. That's what I get for waiting until the last minute. Look for your package on Wednesday!!

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

I'm really sorry to hear your partner didn't send you anything. :(

What you sent your partner sounds awesome! Thank you for participating.

Melissa said...

I once participated in a craft community swap... for a huge Halloween project...
I (not so intelligently) chose the option to allow for a partner who didn't live in the same country.
For 2 months, I worked SO hard on little goodies for this other craft diva and her kids-- jewelry boxes, journals, hair bows: All ghoulish and fun.
I spent over $60 sending it internationally.
She said she never got it.
Coincidentally, my partner never sent me mine either.
The site gave me a bad review and I wasn't allowed to participate in any more swaps.
Foolish me: I'd gone through a divorce during these 2 months and had somehow misplaced the receipt to prove I'd actually sent it...

:(

Somehow I feel like the Blogger community is much kinder and someday I'll do another swap again too!