Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Toddler Intervention: Giving Mommy the Middle Finger

Wow. Where does she learn this stuff? I'm convinced toddlers share secrets on how to work their parents over. Lately, I've felt like Miss Thang is constantly flipping me off and I can't help but laugh - most days. But other days, I just don't know what to do.

For her birthday she got a really cool little car that has an ignition, shifter, and pedals. It makes noise like a real engine and she'll sit there for some time steering the driver's wheel but when she's done - she's done. And she leaves the engine running. The constant purr of the engine is well...annoying. After turning it off for the millionth time, I demanded she turn it off instead before she moved onto something else. One night it was running and I say, cheerfully, "turn your car off."

Miss Thang: "No. Mommy do it."

Me: "Please, turn your car off."

Miss Thang: "No. Mommy turn it off."

Hubby: "Mommy said 'turn your car off'."

Miss Thang: "No!"

Right after she says no, the automatic turn off cuts the engine noise.

Miss Thang (looking right at me and smugly says): "Car off."

My husband doubled over in laughter. Miss Thang, one. Mommy, zero.


"Get Your Motor Running"

I'm at a total loss on how to deal with these kinds of situations. We've just started implementing time-outs. Only a few times has she had a total meltdown at my demand for a time-out on the naughty-step. Yesterday, I threatened her with one and she said "okay."

Really?






1 comment:

Issy said...

That reminds me of when we implemented time outs with Jason and the first time we asked "Do you want a time out?" and he replied "Yes". For the after time out discussion, I had to explain to him if he ever felt he needed a "time out", he didn't have to act up and go nuts, he could always go into his room and play quietly or lay down or whatever. I explained that sometimes I need a time out too and that it was ok, etc, etc, etc. So funny, but it actually stopped some craziness.