As promised, the first edition of "Why Not Try it This Week?"
Although I still eat fish and dairy products, I haven't touched beef, chicken, or pork since November 1st, 2009. I decided I'd try it out - or "flirt" - with the idea of becoming a vegetarian for four weeks and then make my decision. It was an easy choice after a month of no meat. I never once had trouble finding something either out or at home.
Now, have I overindulged in too much junk during this time? Yes. Cookies, fudge, potato chips, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches - these are all vegetarian. That's what I was telling myself!
My decision to become a vegetarian wasn't an ethical one - though the treatment of animals is indeed a concern of mine! I chose to go down this path because of the studies linking the consumption of meat and cancer.* When I told my oncologist about my decision she said "Well, you know there isn't a lot of data to back up that theory. But I respect your decision." I guess I'll consider that her stamp of approval.
Like I mentioned before, I received six vegetarian cookbooks this past Christmas. I'm working on incorporating some of these recipes into our weekly dinners. I am the only vegetarian in the family, so I plan on serving these non-meat items and add whatever meat items for the rest of the family - in hopes that we're all getting enough veggies, proteins, and whole grains!
For the week of January 4th:

Stir-Fried Carrots, Red Peppers, & Red Onions with Roasted Cashews
From "The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without" by Mollie Katzen, page 36.
Ingredients:
1 cup whole cashews
2 tbs. canola or peanut oil
1 large red onion, cut into large chunks
1 1/2 lbs. carrots, cut into thick slices
1 tbs. minced fresh ginger (optional)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. minced or crushed garlic
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
3 tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 tbs. soy sauce
Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
1 cup pineapple chunks, fresh or canned, drained (optional)
1) Preheat the over to 300 degrees F. Spread cashews in a single layer on a baking tray and place in over. Roast 10 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.
2) Heat wok over medium heat. Add oil and swirl to coat pan. Turn heat to high and add onion, carrots, and ginger. Sprinkle with salt and stir-fry for about 5 minutes or until carrots become tender.
3) Toss in garlic and red pepper, and continue to cook on high heat for another 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and soy sauce and cook for two more minutes longer.
4) Add red pepper flakes to taste and serve hot. Top with cashews and pineapple.
Makes 4 to 5 servings.
Wendy's Notes: I was thinking of making some brown rice with this and also stir-frying some organic chicken tenders for the little girl and the husband.

Crocodile Crunch
From "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone, page 200.
Ingredients:
2-3 cups bite size pieces of fresh fruit: kiwi, strawberries, avocados, apples, pears, or mango.
2 tsp. spirulina
1 1/2 tbs. any nondairy milk (soy and hemp are creamier)
2 tsp. almond butter
1 1/2 tbs. maple syrup
2 tbs. fresh orange juice
2 tbs. shaved fresh coconut of dried coconut
1/2 cup kamut flake cereal
1) Divide fruit into two serving bowls.
2) Use a fork to stir together the spirulina and milk in a small glass. Add the almond butter, and mix again. Stir in the syrup and orange juice, and give it a final stir. The sauce should be smooth and neither to thick or too runny.
3) Pour sauce over the fruit and sprinkle with the coconut and cereal. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 servings.
Wendy's Notes: This is actually a vegan recipe and requires a couple of ingredients I'm not totally familiar with. I'm going to try Mother's Market for these items. This one is a little outside of my comfort zone but that's the purpose of this project!
I'll let you know how it goes next week!
*Reference: 2007 study published in the British Journal of Cancer.
2 comments:
I have read just a little of your blog and think you are an amazing woman already! Good for you for going vegetarian. We have cut *way* back in our meat consumption in our home, as well. I feature a Meatless Monday each week, so maybe you can get some ideas from there. I'll be back to get more ideas from you, too!
I tried the vegetarian lifestyle a few years ago for about 3 months. I still eat some meat, but I think I was a little too picky and felt hungry a lot of the time. Maybe I should have picked up a few cookbooks like you have. The stir fry recipe sounds really good.
Post a Comment