Friday, September 18, 2009

Feel Your Boobies Week

National Feel Your Boobies Week
October 9 - 16, 2009

I discovered Feel Your Boobies on Facebook. They are a non-profit breast cancer organization which urges young women to "feel their boobies" with somewhat unconventional reminders. I kind of dig their fun slogans and campaigns, especially this personalized Boobicon.

Feel Your Boobies was founded by Leigh Hurst. She was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 33 and found her lump simply by "feeling her boobies" and not through a conventional breast exam. I really like her message, in which she states "young women tune out...about breast cancer because they don't believe they are at risk" - true, right?

I certainly wasn't in the practice of performing monthly self-exams when I discovered the 5 cm lump in my left breast. I definitely was "feeling my boobies" quite a bit because I was nursing my daughter but I found my lump on a fluke. I was also under the impression that I was healthy because I had just given birth. Little did I know that the cancer had already spread to two lymph nodes. I was lucky to find it when I did but maybe it would have been sooner if I had only been better aware of my architecture.

Check out the "Feel Your Boobies" campaign. Create your own Boobicon. Order a "Feel Your Boobies" sticker and spread the word - especially during the month of October as it is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month!

No comments: