Monday, August 24, 2009

Asparagus and Cancer

I got an email yesterday about asparagus curing cancer. Interesting, I thought, so I gave it a read - why not, right? It gave several case examples of men and women who had been diagnosed with various stages of different cancers. They all had embarked on an asparagus diet - four tablespoons, twice daily of cooked pureed asparagus. After some time, these cancer patients had cured themselves of their disease.

I've read several books about nutrition and cancer so I pulled from my arsenal "Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life" by David Servan-Schreiber, MD, PhD, "Beating Cancer with Nutrition" by Patrick Quillin, PhD, RD, CNS and "Secrets of Longevity: Hundreds of Ways to Live to be 100" by Dr. Maoshing Ni. Dr. Ni's book was the only to mention asparagus and it's cancer fighting properties. He writes that not only are asparagus spears a natural weapon against aging they are "very high in glutathione, an amino acid compound with potent antioxidant properties that is known as a cancer fighter and aging deterrent" (73).

On the other hand, Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center states that "there is no evidence that certain foods alter the environment of an existing cancer, at the cellular level, and cause it to either die or grow."

I personally believe that food plays a vital role in healthy living and possibly preventing and curing cancers. So, if I get another email tomorrow that says "eat pumpkins" or "drink beet juice" because it might heal you then I might as well try it. There is no harm in consuming vegetables (organic only) now, is there?

So why not grill some asparagus tonight and enjoy!



No comments: