Monday, September 13, 2010

The Diva with the Double Chin


I wrote last week that I had been selected by the OC Register to contribute to a special breast cancer insert that will be added to the newspaper on the weekend of September 18-19.
A few days ago, the photographer contacted me just to get confirmation on a few details. I asked how the pictures came out from the shoot. I joked saying I hope they weren't going to use any with a double chin! She emailed me a sneak peek at one of the photos. Holy Double Chin, Batman! Thankfully, she offered to pull the photo, at my request. Serious diva move.

I'm still praying I'm not misquoted. We talked a lot about prioritizing during treatment and how I had to put aside my desires for a clean home and putting a hot dinner on the table for taking a nap instead. When reading back her notes, she said "so you put important things like cleaning and cooking aside to rest?" I'm not a '50's housewife! While I like to do these sorts of things, I don't think they are "important" for everyone and not even always for me!

Anyway, here's a spoiler from my essay that will run with the photos.

It’s now been nearly a year since I finished treatment and almost two since my diagnosis. I was encouraged to believe that cancer would “only” disrupt my life for six months and then things would be back to normal. Sadly, survivorship isn’t that easy. I’m reminded everyday I have had breast cancer. It might be the scars I see in the mirror and the medications I take every night or the incredibly achy joints and routine trips to have my blood drawn. But it’s the head games that keep me up at night. The constant inquiry of every head or backache or what the smallest changes in your blood work might mean.

And, finally I'll leave you with a cropped version of the infamous double chin photo.

Please be sure to pick up a copy of the Orange County Register next weekend and look for the special breast cancer insert! You can also see additional photos online at OC Register!

3 comments:

Eat. Live. Laugh. and sometimes shop! said...

You are very brave. Putting yourself out there and exposing the tender underbelly left by the unknown.

And I totally support the diva move to have the picture removed. I do the same for my kids in our family albums -- no one needs to grow up with a record of every picture ever taken, just every good picture every taken. ; )

Kelly von Hemert said...

Hi Wendy! It was so nice meeting you at just-spotted.com tonight! Looking forward to reading your interview in the Reg!
Wow, what a journey...
Please, with all you've been through, you're entitled to diva moves when it comes to photos. And let me tell you, if you don't advocate for yourself when it comes to double chin cropping, no one else will have your back: lol!

Marcia said...

So looking forward to reading your essay in the OC registered/with the photos also. I dont detect a double chin in your photos.