Monday, September 6, 2010

Behind the Scenes - OC Register Photo Shoot

Two weeks ago, I got an email from the Orange County Register Health editor asking if I would be interested in submitting a personal essay detailing my experience with breast cancer for a special edition insert that will run the week before the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Orange County.

It wasn't like the editor randomly found me and had to have my story for her readers. I submitted my name and a few details through the Komen OC website but never imagined the O.C. Register would be interested in me.

48 hours later, a photographer was at our house taking pictures of Audrey and I that will run with the essay! I had a friend come over to help get my kid to smile for the camera - and thank God, because Audrey didn't want to have her photo taken..at first. Lots of tears but with a little coaxing she recovered nicely and was ready for her close up. She even told the photographer to stop taking pictures so she could go use the potty. Can someone say D-I-V-A?

I wish I had requested final sign off on the photos they use (now who's the diva?). I'm just afraid they'll use one taken from an unflattering angle (read: double chin, muffin top, flabby arms, etc). I won't know until I see it in print the weekend of September 18th.

Check back here on Monday, 9/13 for a few spoilers from my essay and an explanation of how I might be misquoted. Yikes.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

i can hardly wait for the spoiler!
this is so exciting and I just love the outfit you choose for Audrey! what did you where?

Diane LeBleu said...

Hi Wendy! Kudos on the NP article! I'm serving as the team captain for our upcoming Mamma Jamma bike ride for the Komen Austin affiliate. I'm a recent patient/survivor (check out my new inspired business at www.pink-pockets.com) and I lived in Newport Beach for a little while in (jeez its been a while) 1999. Wow - 2 decades ago. Looking forward to corresponding!