Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Six Months? Nah...Try Forever.

As my surgery date approaches, I can't help but wonder if I will ever be done dealing with cancer.

When I was first diagnosed, the doctor tried putting a positive spin on it saying "it's only six months of your life." I was foolish for thinking this was true. It's something I'm going to have to live with forever. And it sucks.

I recently read an article featured in the New York Times by Katherine Russell Rich. She has stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. She was diagnosed seventeen years ago and writes about "living" with cancer, calling it "sluggish but active" and remains in treatment after all these years.

I can't imagine. Or maybe I can.

In October, it will be two years since my diagnosis. The cancer may be gone from my body now (and hopefully forever) but, I too, am still living with it, you know?

I'm reminded every night at 8:00 when I need to take my anti-estrogen meds. And every month when I roll into my oncologist's office for a shot to suppress my ovaries from functioning. Or when I get in the shower and see a four inch scar when I look down. Next, it will be recovering from an oophorectomy. I wish it stopped there.

I admire the author's take on life, saying that it isn't "sensible" and encouraging others to act on "all glimmers that appear" in it. I'm really trying hard to do that. I bask in the moments listening to my little girl belly laugh or sharing in a great conversation with my husband or hanging with my girlfriends. But I can't help but feel like this dark cancer cloud is still hanging over me.

Will it ever go away?

Russell Rich, Katherine. "17 Years Later, Stage 4 Survivor is Savoring a Life Well Lived." New York Times. 26 April 2010. Web. 27 April 2010.

3 comments:

Christina Berry said...

Girl, you're in my prayers, now and always. What's the date for the surgery?

Amber Page Writes said...

Oof. Life just seems to keep throwing it at you, doesn't it? This won't make you feel any better, but I just had one on my ovaries removed, and it wasn't *that* bad. Not pleasant, by any means, but I was up and around within a week.

I'll be thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
GEEEESH!!! I can't even think of what to say, but your zest and passion for life,despite such a trial, is a gift and certainly inspiring.

Thanks for sharing and giving me the desire to live more fully!

Love,
shellie Nielson