Monday, May 17, 2010

I Wanna a New Drug - Update!

I wanted to update you all in response to the post I wrote about my dependence on the anti-depression drug, Effexor XR.

I was able to talk with two of my doctors about my feelings, or lack there of, and what I could do about it.

Doctor GP said that I could switch it up and start taking a different anti-depression med called Prestiq. Apparently, it's made by the same company but they've "tweaked the molecule" and you can switch out the Effexor with the Prestiq without weaning off the first.



That same day, yes...two appointments in one day, the right-hand-nurse to my Oncologist doctor wasn't familiar with Prestiq. But she said a few things that struck me:

You're not depressed, right? Why not try to wean off of Effexor? See if you can deal with the hot flashes without the meds.

It got me thinking. Am I that afraid of a hot flash?

Additionally, I've been chatting with a pharmacist friend who has suggested a few natural alternatives. And what about acupuncture? Hmm...

So I'll now leave you with this ditty..."I gotta a feeling/woo-hoo!"

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I hope you find that you come off it easily and don't have too many issues with the hot flashes. I've been lucky - they really don't bother me much at all. I think Cori is the same. So you may be pleasantly surprised at how little you are bothered by them. :)