Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Undeniable Strength and Faith

Marilyn DeCarlo with her four beautiful children.

I had heard of Marilyn DeCarlo and her diagnosis back in 2007 from a friend who is close with her family. At the time, all I understood was that she was young, had four young children, and stage IV breast cancer. Early on, it sounded as if treatment had been going well. Sadly, things haven't stayed that way.

Marilyn has inflammatory breast cancer (IBC). It is considered to be the most aggressive type of breast cancer there is. It grows in sheets or nests instead of tumor-type lumps. This nesting growth unfortunately makes it easier for the cancer to spread to other parts of the body through the lymph system. It has usually reached the later stages of development when properly diagnosed. When Marilyn was diagnosed, she faced cancer not only in the breast but spine, pelvis, and liver.

In the last two years, Marilyn has endured several rounds of chemo, "gamma knife" radiation, and surgery. Last December, cancer was found in her hip and brain. She sought out alternative and holistic treatments in Mexico and France to coincide with the traditional therapies she had been receiving. Unfortunately, the cancer had spread yet again, this time to her spinal cord leaving her paralyzed from the waist down.

Recently, the Orange County Register profiled Marilyn and her battle. The best part of the article were the kind words from family and friends about Marilyn and her undeniable strength and faith. Sweet Marilyn has decided to spend what may be her final days at home and the words shared from her loved one will most likely be parting ones.

I've never met Marilyn DeCarlo and from my own personal experience with breast cancer I can only comprehend a fraction of what she's been through. I admire her fight and her fearlessness. I find her truly inspiring. I hope you do too.

For more information about Marilyn, please visit www.marilynkeepingthefaith.com.


No comments: