Thursday, September 24, 2009

Facing Mortality and Making Changes: A Blog Series, Part 3

Facing Mortality and Making Changes: A Blog Series, Part 3

Last night's Top Chef episode featured a challenge where the chefs had to prepare a duo of food representing an angel and a devil. Or, a healthy dish and a not-so-healthy dish. One contestant - a cancer survivor - prepared a dish of salad greens and an apple crisp dessert. She said that she knows sugar is a no-no for those who've had cancer (some suggest that sugar "feeds" or "fuels" cancer cells) but she can't cut it out completely so she tries to find a balance between good and bad.

I asked my oncologist about the sugar debate and she, rolling her eyes, said that "everything in moderation" is fine. I hate that answer!

The problem: I love sugar. I adore sugar. Candy, cake, brownies, you name it. I look forward to the time of year when the Girls Scouts come a'knocking. I always eye the Twinkies and fruit pies at the grocery store. Pop tarts are a suitable breakfast (for me, not Audrey). My last blog was about cupcakes for crying out loud! I think I was deprived as a child.

I'm not sure how I find my own balance without feeling deprived.

I know what healthy food is. Veggies are seriously one of my favorite things to eat. What I need to find is a couple of faux junk food items. Something that will trick my taste buds into thinking they are tasting the deliciousness of the worst foods out there.

Update: this was in my in-box this morning. Talk about timing.

Suggestions? Post a comment below!

If you'd like to receive my blog in your in-box, email me with ADD ME in the subject line!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are the daughter of the sugar KING. It's genetic!,

k

Swanky Mom Sriti said...

So I was a sugar addict.....and now I am only a semi-addict. In any event, one of the things I really like that tastes like a total treat and satisfies my sweet tooth is Fiber One chocolate chip bars. They are delish. And the other thing I have been doing recently is using Purevia (made from the Stevia plant) instead of sugar or splenda. Here is the website about Purevia (www.purevia.com).....it's sold at Whole Foods and the Ralph's in AV. Hope that helps!

Jen said...

I am with you on this - the sugar habit is hard to break. I'm afraid I'm not much good at just having the occasional treat. I either get into the habit of having a sweet thing at least once a day, or I go cold turkey and give it up, and after a few weeks I stop craving it. I'm planning to start sugar withdrawals in a couple of days when we head to the country for holidays - away from a lot of the temptations!