Every week, Thursday's blog is dedicated to the topic of making life changes in the face of mortality. These are the changes I am personally trying to make. I welcome your thoughts, suggestions, and support!
Three months ago I let Bryan convince me that I could run in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5k on September 27, 2009 in Newport Beach. He was like "you've got weeks to train" and "it's a great goal to set for yourself." See, Bryan's a runner and a 5k is nothing to him - he does this for fun, people! It sounded like a good idea until I tried training for it. It was like I was running with cement blocks on my feet!
Well, here we are with four weeks left before the start gun goes off and it's looking like I might be walking this thing - or at least a majority of it. I'm kind of bummed out about it too because it was a good, even great goal. I feel like I've let Bryan down but most of all myself. I should be exercising more, building stamina (my stamina is at zilch post chemo and radiation), building muscle, strengthening my bones to ward off osteoporosis, and burning fat (yes, admittedly I put on a few during chemo. You'd think you'd lose but you don't, at least I didn't!). Instead, over the last two months, I've found every other reason to do something else rather than train and/or exercise.
Like I said in my first blog on this topic: I hope to make small changes that will become bigger ones. So with that, after it cools down a bit tonight, I will take Audrey out in the jogging stroller and we'll make our way around the neighborhood. And, I'm going to take a friend's offer to walk the local regional park to get our "rear in gear" (thanks, D)!
No comments:
Post a Comment